Teaching Skillful Thinking
- Make explicit what makes the thinking skillful
- Give students guided practice in doing the thinking skillfully as they engage with the content
- Prompt students to employ one or more relevant habits of mind
- Prompt the students to think about their thinking so that they can guide themselves to do the thinking skillfully when it is called for
- What are the categories that you want to classify the given items under?
- What are the defining characteristics of these categories?
- What are the characteristics of the items?
- Based on their characteristics, what categories do the items fall under?
- What purposes might be served by classifying these items according to this characteristics?
DEFINE THE CATEGORIES
SPECIFY THE ITEMS TO BE CLASSIFIED
IDENTIFY THE CHARACTERISTICS OF THE ITEM TO BE CLASSIFIED
CATEGORIZE THE ITEMS BASED ON THE WAY THE CATEGORIES HAVE BEEN IDENTIFIED